Local SEO strategy refers to the overarching strategy or process used to optimize your site’s content and online presence for higher rankings. Local SEO strategy focuses on improving business rankings in local search engine results pages (SERPs).
The difference between traditional SEO and local SEO is that local SEO focuses your efforts on attracting customers near your physical location —and getting them through your door. Traditional SEO, on the other hand, boosts your visibility on a wider scale.
The main benefit of local SEO is that it lets you take advantage of increased visibility in your immediate area.
How does it work?
Google uses numerous factors when ranking local content, but it predominantly focuses on these three signals:
- Relevance: Does your business listing match the searcher’s intent?
- Distance: How close is your business to the searcher at the time of the search?
- Prominence: Is your business well-known both online and offline?
When a user conducts a search using a location or “near me” and your business listing best matches the query, you’ll appear in Google’s local SEO 3-pack —a listing of the top three local businesses that meet the criteria.
12 local SEO strategy tips to boost rankings and revenue:
- Optimize your local listings and citations
- Understand your local personas
- Conduct local keyword research
- Earn backlinks from local sources
- Write in-depth, local content
- Optimize your title tags and meta descriptions with local keywords
- Include an internal linking structure for location pages
- Update your website
- Improve your UX
- Post local content on social media
- Earn reviews from happy customers
- Track the results of your local SEO strategy